Your New York Physician Wants You to Receive Your Annual Checkup
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” ~ old adage
Manhattan doctor, Dr. Marina Gafanovich wants you to know that making a regular, physical exam in NYC a part of your bi-yearly or yearly routine is one of the best gifts you can give yourself.
Having a New York annual physical examinationcan provide early disease protection, which in turn can help to prolong your lifespan. It can also provide the opportunity for you to monitor those “unseen” yet important health issues like blood pressure, cholesterol levels, or heart disease. Lastly, your NYC physical exam gives you the opportunity to get to know your health care provider in a relaxed setting.
Your annual physical checkup can provide you with the peace of mind in knowing that you are in good health—or even that you are taking steps to advance your health. This can lead to less stress and a more relaxed state of living.
The New York Physical Exam: What Can You Expect?
NYC Internist, Dr. Gafanovich always begins each physical exam by speaking with her patient. She wants to understand the reasons behind your wanting to have the procedure, as well as, get to know you, your lifestyle, and health concerns.During this oral evaluation period she will want to know about:
Your Health History: Dr. Gafanovich will want to know about any behaviors that affect or can affect your health. It’s important to speak openly about important behaviors, like smoking, alcohol use, sexual health, diet, and exercise. The doctor will also check on your vaccination status and update your personal and family medical history. Lastly, she will ask you about any particular health concerns you may have or goals for the future (weight loss, run a marathon, getting pregnant, etc).
Vital Signs: Checking a patient’s vital signs is standard to all physical exams. Doctor’s routinely check:
- Blood pressure: less than 120 over 80 is a normal blood pressure. Doctors define high blood pressure (hypertension) as 140 over 90 or higher.
- Heart rate: Values between 60 and 100 are considered normal although many healthy people have heart rates slower than 60.
- Respiration rate: Between 12 and 20 is normal. Breathing more than 20 times per minute may suggest heart or lung problems.
- Temperature: 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit is the average, but healthy people can have resting temperatures slightly higher or lower. A fever is not present until the temperature is over 101.0 degrees Fahrenheit.
General Appearance: Intuitive skills are a rarely talked about, but much used skillset by the medical profession. Dr. Gafanovich gathers a lot of information about an individual’s overall health and well-being just by observing and talking to her patients. Hair, skin, nails—the health of these things are indicative of your overall health. Your skin is the body’s largest organ. If your skin is unhealthy it is a clear sign that your overall health is suffering in some manner. Moreover, if your eyes appear dull and listless or you seem overly distracted these things could point to problems in diet or nutrition.
Lung Exam: Using a stethoscope, a doctor listens for crackles, wheezes, or signs of decreased breath capacity. These and other sounds are clues to the presence of heart or lung disease.
Head and Neck Exam: Opening up and saying “ah” shows off your throat and tonsils. The quality of your teeth and gums also provides information about your overall health. Ears, nose, sinuses, eyes, lymph nodes, thyroid, and carotid arteries are also examined.
Abdominal Exam: During the New York health examination the doctor can use a range of examination techniques including tapping your abdomen to detect liver size and presence of abdominal fluid, listening for bowel sounds with a stethoscope, and palpating for tenderness.
Neurological Exam: Nerves, muscle strength, reflexes, balance, and mental state are assessed.
Dermatological Exam: Skin and nail findings could indicate a dermatological problem or disease somewhere else in the body.
Extremities Exam: Your doctor will look for physical and sensory changes. Dr. Gafanovich will check the pulse your arms and legs that could point to potential circulatory issues, as well as, examine your joints to assess for abnormalities.
New York Annual Checkup is a Pivotal Health Exam
Male Physical Exam
An annual physical exam in New York for men might also include:
- Testicular exam: A doctor can check each testicle for lumps, tenderness, or changes in size. Most men with testicular cancer notice a growth before seeing a doctor.
- Hernia exam: The famous “turn your head and cough” checks for a weakness in the abdominal wall between the intestines and scrotum. (The actual reason you turn your head is so you don’t cough on the doctor.)
- Penis exam: A doctor might notice evidence of sexually transmitted infections such as warts or ulcers on the penis.
- Prostate exam: Inserting a finger in the rectum lets a doctor feel the prostate for its size and any suspicious areas.
Female Physical Exam
A NYC woman’s annual exam might include:
- Breast exam. Feeling for abnormal lumps may detect breast cancer or benign breast conditions. The doctor will also check the lymph nodes in the underarm area and look for visual abnormalities of the breasts.
There are no standard laboratory tests during an annual physical. However, Dr. Gafanovich may order certain tests routinely:
- Complete blood count
- Screening test for diabetes and lipid panel
- Chemistry panel
- Urinalysis (UA) (urine pregnancy test for females)
- Thyroid function tests
For patient convenience, Dr. Gafanonvich has a nurse on staff that will draw your blood on the premises without the need to go to a remote laboratory.
Top Rated NYC Physician
As your New York doctor, Dr. Gafanovich will walk an extra mile to provide high-quality medical service you deserve. Entrust your health to one of the leading Internists in Upper East Side.
Upper East Side doctor’s Physical Exam Emphasizes Prevention
The Manhattan annual physical is a great opportunity to refocus your attention on prevention and screening:
- At age 50, it’s time to begin regular screening for colorectal cancer. People with immediate family members with colorectal cancer may need to be screened before age 50.
- For most women, age 40 marks the time to begin annual mammogram screening for breast cancer.
- Everyone should have their cholesterol (lipids) checked every five years after age 20, according to the American Heart Association.
Healthy behaviors work far better than medicine at preventing illness, and don’t require a prescription:
- Do 30 minutes of brisk walking or other exercise, most days of the week. Your risk for cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and cancer will fall dramatically.
- Eat a mostly plant-based diet, low in animal fats.
- Above all, don’t smoke.
We try to make your New York annual physical examination as efficient and pleasant as possible by providing services like EKG, blood labs, ABI and pulmonary function testing. Keeping up a good relationship with your doctor through regular visits is a widely recognized and valuable part of maintaining good health. Please don’t hesitate to call us at 212-249-6218 if you would like to schedule a visit or you can do this online by clicking Book an Appointment tab on the right the page!
Dr. Gafanovich is here to answer any of your questions and work with you to create a plan for health and wellness. Don’t hesitate to call the best internist New York City has to offer.
Dr.Gafanovich is very professional, compassionate, and up-to-date on the latest medical procedures. She is an excellent listener, and very good at explaining diagnoses and medical procedures in everyday language. After each office visit, I walk out of the office feeling reassured and confident that I had the best medical care…
West New York, NY
I have worked in healthcare for roughly 7 years and physicians like Dr. Gafanovich are few and far between. She excels in both diagnostics and treatment and never rushes through an appointment. She is kind and compassionate and sets the bar for how medicine should be practiced. Her office staff…
I went to see Dr. Gafanovich for a routine physical. The girls at the desk were very nice and my wait time was short. Dr. Gafanovich was kind and knowledgeable. I also had blood work done and was impressed with how quickly I received the results and how thoroughly Dr….
Dr.Gafanovich is the best. She is so warm and wonderful. She really takes the time to speak to her patients and is very detailed in her explanations. She makes the examination very comfortable by talking through the entire procedure and explains what she is doing. Thank you.
Dr. Gafanovich is a compassionate, brillant and very pleasant professional. great experience. not like others. dr. Gafanovich came highly recommended by my entire firm and lived up to her reputation. I have since recommended her to friends. The office is very clean and professional. There is absolutely no sense of…
Dr. Gafanovich administers not only medical professional advice, she also has sincere interest and respect for her patients. My husband and I are her patients and she brings not just wisdom to her practice but also genuine sensitivity. The Lab Technician is a very caring and kind person. The office…
New York, New York