In an effort to become healthier and lose weight, many people choose to drink diet soda because they think it is a healthier option than regular soda. Over the past several years, many studies have been conducted that indicate that not only is it extremely unhealthy, but it also may result in weight gain. In addition to promoting weight gain, it also adversely affects many different systems in your body.
- Impaired Metabolism – Consuming artificial sweeteners such as those used in diet soda effect how your body metabolizes food. It becomes accustomed to artificial sugars, which can lead to metabolic confusion or overconsumption. It also increases the risk of metabolic syndrome with symptoms such as high cholesterol and belly fat.
- Obesity – Since your body cannot regulate caloric intake from the sugar in foods, it begins to crave larger amounts of sugar, which results in overeating.
- Osteoporosis – The phosphoric acid in soda causes the calcium present in your blood to be excreted more rapidly through urine. This results in bone damage and depletion of bone density, which is extremely harmful for older women.
- Damaged Tooth Enamel – Diet soda is very acidic, measuring 3.2 on the pH scale. Over time, it will dissolve tooth enamel and essentially rot your teeth.
- Cell Damage – The mold inhibitors in diet soda, such as sodium benzoate and potassium benzoate, are responsible for damage caused to cell walls.
- Neurotoxin – Aspartame has been the subject of recent controversy because it acts as a neurotoxin. It effects protein synthesis, the operation of synapses within the brain, DNA, and several different organs. It can also lead to several neurological disorders, such as migraines, behavioral changes, and seizures.
- Caffeine – We all know soda contains caffeine, which can be a highly addictive substance. It also effects the liver and inhibits the body’s ability to remove toxins from your blood stream.
- Reproductive Issues – Even the cans soda comes in can harm you; they are coated with BPA (bisphenol A), which is an endocrine inhibitor. BPA has been linked to a number of conditions, including heart disease, reproductive problems, and obesity.
While drinking a “diet” soda may sound healthier, it may in fact cause even more issues in the long run. That is why it is best to just stick with water to stay healthy.